Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine Crafts

Well, today's crafts are mostly for you!
I was iced inside and my crafty side was dying to come out since my husband was home and could play with the twins.

I am also cheap, frugal, thrifty, whatever word you want to call it.... I was Internet shopping for Valentine shirts to wear to a party, and they were so expensive. (Well expensive when you have to buy 2). So I decided to make my own.  I made 3 shirts for $10.00, all supplies included.
You need:
Heat-n-Bond (iron on adhesive) I found it at Wal-mart for $2.47
Shirts (mine were $2.00 on clearance at Wal-mart)
Fabric ( I bought 1/3 of a yard for $1.67)
Thread if you want a top stitch--- totally optional

It is so easy.
Extremely easy.
Just find a picture of your design that you want on your shirt. Or draw your own like I did. You could use hearts for a little girl! But I made ties for my little men!
Step by step EASY directions can be found here: Jones Design Company
My model, not very happy about sitting still.
I decided it needed a top stitch. But, honestly, my top stitch looks like my child did it. I mean, lets be really honest, I had to google how to thread my sewing machine before I got started.  And then I googled how to sew a zig zag stitch. It said practice on scrap cloth. I am too impatient for that, I jumped right in. I mean, it's a shirt they will wear for one day. And besides, their friends can't talk and tell them that their mommy messed up their shirts.

So there you have it! I made 3 shirts (one for the host of our Valentine Party) in less than 30 mins. Top Stitch included in that time line.

And for when you want to get messy with your little one:
Next one I make, I will put the palms together and let the fingers fan out to make the heart part. But for wiggly boys, this turned out pretty cute! (Thanks Parker for letting us come over and paint!)

I doubt my husband or father in law read this blog. But I actually made this into a flat card for them for Valentine's Day. I am mailing it to their office so they have something special to open. Hudson is obsessed with his Grandpa. Like 4am wakes up asking for 'Papa'. I think this will make Papa and Daddy really happy when they open it!
Sorry Rita and mom if you guys are reading this. 
No sneak peek at what you will be getting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs